16 August 2007

last of the fringe!

My final Fringe review of 2007 is up:

offoffonline: review of HAIL SATAN

I have such a soft spot for the work of the Nosedive Productions crew. It's like an intellectual kinship/crush. This is not to say that I can't say unkind things about them; it's just that it hurts when I have to do so. It's probably time to bar myself from seeing their shows in an official capacity ...


Mind you, I don't think it's a bad thing to follow actors or writers by going to see their stuff. If you get what they do, you're doing them a service by making sure that the review is written by someone who knows what they're about. This can be a crapshoot with actors, though, as they have less control over the projects they do and you can find yourself getting over them really fast.


Case in point: I saw two actresses give strong performances with decent Canuck accents in this dark, Canadian play. A few months later, when looking for another show to review, I read about a play that sounded kinda iffy, but both of the actresses were in it. I decided to take a chance on it and trust their judgment. Bad move - both the show and the actresses were pretty mediocre. Now I'm less trusting of the material that they choose.


I'm not sure that I'll be covering anything else in August; I may wait for September and the start of the NYMF. However, I've attempted to put an iron in yet another fire - let's see what that produces ...

2 comments:

Philucifer said...

If it makes you feel any better, we have a crush on you, too. So much so that we had a debate on whether or not intellectual kinship+crush=incest.

We decided "yes", and that this is somehow appropriate considering our past theatrical travesties.

Also, welcome.

Patrick
Nosedive Productions

Lauren said...

Thanks, guys! :)