03 March 2009

Dessert of the Week

Over the past few weeks, I've had a yearning to make a bar cookie. They've always been a little exotic to me, as my mom didn't make them (except for brownies), and I've never really made them (except, again, for brownies).

So, this morning, I went through my
Betty Crocker Cooky Book to find a recipe that would make use of some of the nuts (almonds, walnuts, macadamia nuts, coconut) in my cabinet.

I thought, "A bar cookie would be nice."

And then I made ... brownies - or, rather, BLONDIES.



(left: the finished product; right: the recipe book, brownies/blondies, and a big glass of milk!)


The recipe is for Butterscotch-Coconut Brownies, but there is no chocolate here. These are some chewy, delicious cookies - my only complaint being that I wish they weren't so thin.

The nearest online representation to my recipe is this link at Epicurious.com; in place of the chopped nuts, use fine or medium shredded unsweetened coconut.

In my version, the milk is omitted, the vanilla is taken down to 1/2 t., the flour used is 3/4 c., and the dry ingredients (excluding the nuts) are sifted before they are added. The cooking instructions and temperature are the same.


Enjoy!!!

No comments: