27 February 2009

Dessert of the Week

Okay, it's been a few weeks since the first installment of the series ... but I haven't really made dessert during that time. Well, I made a delicious butter cake from my Julia Child cookbook for Valentine's Day, but I didn't want to spend the time on such a romantic night to take photos. Besides, I had two pieces of filet mignon to cook! :)

This week's dessert was ...

Glazed Chocolate-Pumpkin Bundt Cake!
(click on title for recipe)


I bookmarked this recipe ages ago while looking for a Bundt cake recipe, and happened upon it again the other day while preparing to have a friend over for lunch. It's one of those recipes that has some specialty ingredients that you don't always keep stocked in your pantry/fridge (pumpkin puree, buttermilk), but I just happened to have.

Well, except for whole wheat flour - I used regular flour. (I did have whole wheat flour for bread-baking at one time, but must've thrown it out.)

Oh, and apparently I'd run out of GRANULATED SUGAR (an unforgivable sin for a baker!) - I used 3/4 cup of honey and used 1/4 cup less buttermilk.

This cake was ... INTERESTING ... The flavor kind of grows on you. I guess I'm not that crazy about the chocolate/pumpkin combo, which I was trying for the first time here. I'd have rather had a pumpkin pie and a chocolate cake rather than meshing the two together.

But it's (supposedly) kind of a healthy cake, so there's something to be said for that. It's also dense, but without feeling heavy on your stomach.

I plan on using some of the rest of my buttermilk on my famous chocolate cake next week, which is actually a Hershey's recipe that I stumbled upon almost two decades ago (as a pre-teen) and have been making at least once a year ever since. And for someone like me, who is an unabashed polygamist when it comes to recipes, that's saying something. :)

No comments: